Saturday, May 26, 2012

5:45PM - Rome : Day 17


Il dolce far niente. Italian for 'the sweetness of doing nothing'.

That is what I will be practicing tonight after a full day walking tour through the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. The amount of walking and sheer number of people I had to wade through today is enough to make me finished with sight-seeing for a very long time.

Our guide was pretty good. Very knowledgeable, very funny, and very Italian. He took no shit from the officers throughout the Vatican telling us to keep moving, 'shushing' people who were too loud, and telling eaves-droppers that weren't on our tour to carry on since we paid good money for a guided tour and they didn't. I loved it :) He also gave us a 30-second window to photograph whatever we wanted when we got into the Sistine Chapel even though we weren't supposed to. Of course I snagged a shot of The Creation of Adam.

Boy, it's a good thing my B&B served me a cart of breakfast items at my door this morning - cereal, freshly baked croissants, fruit, juice, milk, coffee - all of which I thoroughly enjoyed in bed. Had they not, I'm not sure I would have survived the day on just a cappuccino and croissant.

There was lots to take in today so I'm not sure I'll do much tonight. I think what I will do is research what I might do and see tomorrow since I have a whole lot of nullo going on until my Colosseum tour on the 28th.

No comments:

Post a Comment