Monday, May 14, 2012

11PM - Barcelona : Day 5

Well...I'm finding Barcelona to have a very different vibe than Paris. A little more urban and edgy, a little more challenging to navigate the language. They're not into baguettes as much but they're very into their cafes, tapas, and expressing themselves very loudly when unamused.

After trekking out to the Gothic District today to find the Picasso museum - among others - I found out most were closed on Mondays so it was time to find alternative things to do. Since I was in the area anyways, I decided to check out the Cathederal. I'm not a religious person per-se, so I wasn't going to go in but then I thought, "I'm in Barcelona for crying out loud! I'm here. I might as well go in. I don't want to miss anything." So I did :) I appreciated the sacred space, the grandiose architecture, and ornate detailing. For that reason, I'm glad I went in.

I then made my way to find all of Gaudi's buildings; Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, and finally, taking the metro up to the Sagrada Família. All truly inspiring and all took my breath away. I love how Gaudi took his inspiration from nature and always designed with form, function, and style in mind. From lighting to air movement to ergonomics, everything had multiple purposes. At first glance you'd never know it. Except maybe if you were an architect yourself. I find his innovation and depth of design and thinking, absolutely fascinating. When walking around the Casa Batlló, I was amazed at how at ease I felt walking from room to room. No sharp or jagged edges. Everything was organic in shape and had a natural flow. Guess you could say I have an undying love for Art Nouveau.

When I stop to think about the things that I'm seeing, where I am, and what I'm doing, I can't help but get emotional. When I was in the Sagrada Família, I got a little teary-eyed. It was so majestic, so overwhelming large, and gorgeously designed, I couldn't help but feel privileged to be there. Gaudi's vision was incredible and awe-inspiring.

All in all, there was a lot to take in today so it's time to get a good nights sleep before I hit the pavement first thing tomorrow. One more day of sight-seeing and museum hopping and I'll be off to Milan the day after.

Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment